Wednesday, August 22, 2012

And then you have....

Tomorrow I put GiGi down.  She is the last of my caretaking responsibilities.  For 33 1/2 years, I have cared for children, parents, couple of dogs and a cat.  Now they have, in effect, left me.  Some through death -- some from moving away physically -- and sometimes mentally -- Didn't think of myself as "caretaker" -- never ever considered that in defining me.  But now that GiGi is leaving me (I'm putting her down - but note that "she is leaving me"), I have to ask -- "what's left?".  It brings up so many questions -- Who am I now?  Who was I then?  Why can't I be that now?  What is life about?  What will the next 25 years be about?  No more caretaking leaves me with nothing important to do -- no one depending on me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment